[ANN] SqueakOS

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Mon Oct 18 19:08:56 UTC 1999

Marcus Denker wrote:

[re: MiniSqueak2.2 image]

Hmm.  I assume it needs a full VM, though.  Does it work with 2.4 or 2.5?
For headless work, is it possible to strip out a bunch of primitives and any resulting dead code so the VM can be as small as possible?  Or is this a problem left for the
reader :-)
I suppose the current work on dynamically-loadable images and a modular VM may answer this requirement (or maybe not).
[By headless I mean with a command-line workspace, not an embedded application like a PWS]

The reason I am asking is that as the VM becomes more complex (e.g., incorporates a JIT compiler), porting becomes far more difficult.  It would help if there were a subsetting
of the VM so that manageable pieces can be debugged one at a time (or by more than one developer).

Ed