Slow posts (PWS) (LONGISH)

Bernhard Pieber pieber at acm.org
Sat Oct 2 20:57:27 UTC 1999

Bolot wrote
> Has anyone figured this one out? If somebody posted a solution, etc.,
> please disregard this message.
>
> It seems to be a combination of VM and Squeak networking problem. The
> problem shows up on NT, but not so much on Macs or UNIX.
>
> The culprit seems to be Socket>>waitForDataUntil: method (called from
> HTTPSocket>>getResponseUpTo: or PWS>>readRequest). Even if it succeeds,
> it seems to take an aweful lot of time to complete. We commented it out,
> and things work faster.

I think I am also having the same problem. I already reported it to the
mailing list (Subject: Swiki with 2.5: Saving a page takes very long on
Netscape, see posting and answers below as a summary). I am not aware of any
fix for the problem.

I reproduced it on my machine at home with Squeak 2.5VM (release build 6)
from Sep. 6 1999 under Windows NT with service pack 4. I did the following:
I took a fresh 2.5 image and fetched the newest updates. (Squeak 2.5 of
August 6, 1999, Last update: 1447)
I set up a Swiki called 'bp' using the instructions in PWS
class>>howToStart.
I started the PWS on port 8099. (netstat -a shows p166:8099 0.0.0.0:0
LISTENING) p166 is the name of my local machine.
I started Netscape Communicator 4.03 (German Version) on the same machine.
The settings are: Cache: Never, Proxies: Direct Internet Connection (No
proxies)
I entered the URL http://p166:8099/bp.1. The front page is shown without
delay.
I click Edit this page..., change the page and click Save.
Now it takes 45 seconds until the changed page is shown. In the meantime
netstat -a shows two additional TCP connections: p166:8099 P166:1069
TIME_WAIT and p166:8099 P166:1070 TIME_WAIT. It takes some minutes until the
connections disappear again.

I did some more testing and once there were more than 90 connections
waiting. The connections seem to go away when I close the browsers. The
delay always seems to be 45 seconds. It always happens when I save a page.
It also sometimes happens when I access the front page. I tested this by
continuously clicking Back to the Top. There is no delay when I save a page
with Internet Explorer 4.0.

I checked it again with Squeak 2.4 (Last update: 1155). There are also
waiting connections but there is no delay when saving a page with Netscape.

I don't know much about TCP/IP networking. So I have no idea how to solve
the problem. I am willing to do more tests if someone gives me some hints. I
appreciate any help.

Bernhard Pieber

P.S. My first posting and the answers are attached for reference.

Steve Wart wrote
>Sorry to report the same problem here; I don't think the
>browser matters, at least I notice it with IE5. I have
>also tried the exact same setup with the 2.4 VM/Image, and
>this problem does not occur.
>
>I've also noticed that the server needs to be restarted
>periodically, as if the process loop is terminating somehow.
>I don't think this is a 2.5/Windows problem however, as we
>seem to have the same problem with our 2.3/Linux Swiki at
>work.

Bernhard Pieber wrote
> Andreas,
>
> I have tried it out with the new VM and I am sorry to report that I still
> have the same effect with the Netscape Browser. Browsing the Swiki works
> fine, saving a page takes very long (30 seconds to one minute). I
> have also
> tried it with the new image and changes.

Andreas Raab wrote
> Folks,
>
> Could somebody try this with the new VM (build 6 - see my
> It is possible that this solves the problem. If so, please
> let me know.

Bernhard Pieber wrote
> Subject: Swiki with 2.5: Saving a page takes very long on Netscape
>
> I am trying out a Swiki under Squeak 2.5 for NT. I serve to
> myself on port 8089 so I use http://localhost:8089/myswiki.1 to access the
> front page. It works well except that when I change the front page and
> press the Save button it takes about 30 seconds until the page is saved.
This only