[??] Question re change sets

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon Oct 11 18:21:52 UTC 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:06:24 -0600 "Ken G. Brown" <kbrown at tnc.com> wrote:
>What is the correct methodology for applying new versions of change sets?
>
>eg. I had filed in the CrispScrollBars change set before applying the
>latest Updates, now the same change set is included in the latest
>Updates as CrispScrollBars2 with some tweaks. Is it safe to remove
>the first version after the second is filed in or should it be
>removed before the new version is applied?

Ken,

You can:
1. Leave things as they are.
2. Destroy the older changeset (just the changeset, not the classes and/or methods it brought into the image). The changeset is simply a record of what has been updated. You could, in fact, destroy all the changesets and all you would have lost is an audit trail.
3. Make it a habit to load updates to a clean image and then load your local preferences on top of that. Taking system updates into an image that has been changed from the current baseline always introduces the risk that some of the changes will clash with local modifications.

Cheers,
Bob