[ENH] BetterFileStamp

Jason McVay jmcvay at bigfoot.com
Sat Oct 23 20:44:49 UTC 1999

stephen--

the reasons for not using the ISO 8601 for filestamping are two-(or more)
fold.
1) some OSs have relatively short filenames (the mac has a 32 character
limit) and the ISO 8601 takes up 15 spaces. granted, only a few characters
are saved with my method compared to ISO 8601, but every character counts...
2) more importantly, there is no need for using a standard on the filenames
since the filestamp _is not used_ within the image. it is _solely_ for the
reader's eyes outside the image. when the filestamped file is filedIn, the
filestamp is left out.

i encourage you to implement the ISO 8601 standard 'cause standards are
always good, but using ISO 8601 is overkill in this instance.

jason