A Proposal for Project Layers

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Mon Oct 11 00:43:33 UTC 1999

At 5:21 PM -0800 10/10/99, Dan Ingalls wrote:
>It is my inclination to stick to a hierarchy of layers, and to
>identify the layer hierarchy with the project hierarchy as well.
>This is simple and intuitive, and lots of it is in place already.
>But would it be an undesirable restriction?  Would we be happier for
>layers to be more of a mix-and-match kind of thing?  I don't know.
>How similar or different is this from systems that you have worked
>with in the past?  What is your favorite example of what packages do
>for you, and do you think this would work as well?

I may be being dense, but it is unclear to me that if packages are to
encapsulate large subsystems, whether more than one package be
accessable to an "application"?  For example, assume that a regular
expression package is placed in one package, and an elaborate
application framework in another (and let us make each direct
decendents of the "main system."  How would we write an application
using both?  Where could the "application" be located.

Or am I entirely missing the point?