TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at ntcorp.com
Fri Oct 22 01:31:31 UTC 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Robin Gibson wrote:
> From: Robin Gibson <ironsignbob at we.mediaone.net>
> Doug Way <dway at mat.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> >
> > The fact that CVS is open source and already handles client server stuff
> > is a big plus.

> That's true - however gluing it to Squeak in a way that doesn't kill
> the rapid-feedback thrill of Smalltalk or bloat your image may
> mitigate the advantage of available source.

> How about pushing more of the grunt work down to the client's image?
> Squeak has some remarkable and promising abilities in terms of
> Object<->Disk and ImageSegment<->Disk storage. If we could leverage
> those and others, we could have the server be as dumb/lean/simple as

Of course if we really wanted to get fancy we'd have squeak be able to
handle multiple versions of classes and methods simultaneously - for
example by having every new version of a class be a sub-class of the
previous version - and letting instances specify which version of a class
definition they instantiate.  Then let the system talk to a repository
that keeps all the versions around.

Not that I'm suggesting really doing this, but it would be interesting.
:-)

Cheers,

Miles

Network Technology Corporation	 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President 		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
mfidelman at ntcorp.com			    617-558-3698
http://www.ntcorp.com		            fax: 617-630-8946