Squeak Mentioned On O'Reilly

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Oct 11 07:49:30 UTC 1999

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Carl Gundel wrote:

> This is the second time (?) in the last week or so that you've teased us
> like this.  Care to give us a hint?  The suspense is unbearable!  ;-)
>
> >From: Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com>
> >Let's just plan to give all a big surprise in a few months!
> >
> >At 8:03 AM -0800 10/9/99, Carl Gundel wrote:
> > > Also mentioned is that Squeak is a language used for movie
> > > production (Huh?Is this true?).

I had the pleasure to see a Squeak demo by Andreas Raab at the STJA
conference in Erfurt (Germany) a few days ago. It was a real eye-opener.
Squeak is *the* multi-media authoring system of the future. No other
system provides that much freedom. It's just amazing what the Disney
artists do with this system. And the best is: All the not
content-depending code is in the base image, so we all could use it.

Ever wondered what a MoviePlayerMorph along with a MovieFrameSyncMorph and
a SoundMorph is good for? Or the FlashPlayer? The Wonderland 3D framework?

For example, Andreas showed a multi-player game where kids steer a
submarine and shoot with cute stuff at each other (it had a nice
comic-like look) - and that one is already installed at Disneyland! Or,
for another example, the ImageMorphWithSpotlight along with a colorful
image makes a really nice intro to another scene (and the kids are slowed
down because they first explore that image).

So my guess is that Disney will publish some cool game or other neat stuff