[GOODIE] FreeCell Game

Jan Theodore Galkowski algebraist at salonmember.com
Thu Oct 28 02:08:13 UTC 1999

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:48:14   Lex Spoon wrote:

>Yeah!!  What do you think of Squeak's polygon
>rate--enough to do something like Quake?  I
>suppose you'd probably have to disable lots of
>goodies like fog that a good 3D card would give
>you, but it would still be pretty cool.  Plus it
>would be excellent propaganda, for those of us who
>are having to constantly defend using such a
>"slow/wierd/unused/unsupported" language like
>Smalltalk.  For many people, Quake is the most
>performance-demanding software they're familiar
>with.

Lex,

I agree that would quiet a lot of mouths.  And
I find this a worthwhile goal, too.  But I'm not
sure doing an existing game, like Quake, would be
that constructive.  Why couldn't we, for instance,
build something as obviously challenging as Quake
in terms of presentation performance, but not so
stuck in that mold.  While we don't want to use
Java, there's no reason why we can't use Java-like
technology -- distribution of applets, for instance --
to make such a thing work.  I'm not opposed to
Quake-like games, but can't we think Bigger?

[snip]
---
Jan Theodore Galkowski  demiourgos at smalltalk.org
home.stny.rr.com/algebraist/         squeak.org/
www.smalltalk.org/      jtgalkowski at alum.mit.edu