[FIX] out of scope access to block args

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Mon Oct 11 00:29:50 UTC 1999

On Sun 10 Oct, Lex Spoon wrote:

> 	bogoMethod
> 		self foo: [ :x | x + 1 ].
> 		^x + 2.
[snip]
> Do people think this construct is a good idea?  And isn't this construct
> at odds with the goal of re-entrant blocks which have fresh argument
> variables with each call?
It certainly isn't a good construct! As you say, it would make life a
bit confusing if proper Closures were introduced. The Parser/Encoder
ought to complain about it, just as it ought to complain about
	bogoMethod2
		self foo: [ :x | |y| x + y ].
		^y + 2.
but doesn't.  To be honest, it's probably not worth much effort to fix,
since we should have Closures soon. Shouldn't we?

tim

--
Spelling checkers at maximum!  Fire!
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)