Some PWS questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:25:04 UTC 1999

>Question one:
>
>Last weekend I started to setup my first PlugableWebServer (PWS). It all
>went pretty straightforward, till I opended my PWS a day later. All
>references on the FrontPage had (again) an questionmark behind them, and
>when I pushed on them and were leaded to the edit-page, the edit-textpane
>was already filled with the contents I made the day before. So I saved it
>again, as also all the other 30 pages. So, I was happy again, because I had
>not lost any contents. However, next day all questionsmarks came back, and
>now I'm getting afraid, saving all pages again shouldn't be a daily job for
>a webmaster. What did I do wrong?

What's happening between Day 1 and Day 2?  Do you shut down Squeak?  Do you
save the image first?  Do you restore your Swiki the next day?

What it sounds like is that all of your pages are getting tagged as "new"
in the image, and then getting fetched from disk with the appropriate
content.  A restore should bring back the correct internal objects from
disk, and should mark all the pages correctly when it does.

>Questions two:
>
>I can't get to work the workspace.html-example in /authorized, after pushing
>'do it' it return the same text as were the page opens with:
>Code te execute: <?request fields notNil ifTrue:
>	[request fields at: 'doit' ifAbsent: ['']] ifFalse: [' ']?>
>
>Execution: <?request fields notNil
>	ifTrue: [(Compiler evaluate: (request fields at: 'doit' ifAbsent:
>['nil']))
>printString]?>
><?request fields notNil
>	ifTrue: [request fields at: 'results' ifAbsent: [' ']] ?>
>
>(btw, all the embedded examples work fine)

Did you execute "PWS initializeAll"?  Do you get challenged for a username
and password when you enter the authorized space?  My guess is that your
authorized space isn't actually processing the form content, so it's just
serving the file (with all the strange embedded Squeak within it) as an
HTML file.

Good luck!
  Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu