TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak?

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 21 21:19:45 UTC 1999

"Stephan B. Wessels" wrote:

> Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> > Versioning is something like snapshotting your image and still being able
> > to compare single classes or methods.  You want to reload a class or two or
> > undo some method deletions.  Versioning should be possible even if you're
> > working alone.
> >
> > The Smalltalk change set fullfills most (if not all) of these requirements
> > but a better gui would be helpful.
>
> I really want the notion of versioned change sets or source sets or applications
> or whatever.  I would like to be able to roll back to a specific version set of
> an entire set:  the right versions of the classes, methods and perhaps even
> inits.
>
>  - Steve

Why don't you guys have a look at the notions in Xanadu- I think they're
worth considering in this case.  Implementation is another issue.  But
you can start by going to http://www.xanadu.com .

In particular, start looking for information about Xanadu's "Virtuality",
and compare that with what you may want for a source code management system-
especially when you want to share on a planetary scale.  If nothing else,
at least Project Xanadu has spent a lot of time thinking about this topic.

-les