TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak?

Torge Husfeldt jean-jaques.gelee at gmx.de
Wed Oct 20 14:14:12 UTC 1999

Hi Folks!

Allthough I
really missing something:
How can I version/release a part of my image and
store it in a central repository? In this mailing
list I frequently read statements like the
following:
.... Yes I wrote this or that but right now I can't
find it in my archives ...
Now this is very annoying and IMHO completely
unnesessary.

In an ENVY-Environment for instance You can name
your applications and store them in a repository.
I don't think that we need ENVY for Squeak because
it has several drawbacks (discussed later) but I
don't think either that the current changes and
patches system is powerful enough to ensure both
software quality and retrievability.

So I do think we need a means to store versions
of classes in a (central) repository with a name
and version number. We should not make the same
mistake as OTI to establish a parallel hierarchy
called Applications (because these aren't ST at
all and they aren't very hierarchic either).
But we should rather use the classes themselves
as stated in the latest mail from Augustin Mrazik
on: A Proposal for Project Layers.
The version control should not be as restrictive
as ENVY (I heard rumors that even OTI would make
it less restrictive if they had to redo it now).

Does anyone know or use a tool which can do all
that?

If not, I volunteer to gather any comments on this
subject and maybe deliver a simple prototype
before Xmas.

My first idea for the implementation is a HTTP-server
on a special port written in squeak that receives
XML-Style reqeuests from the clients and maintains
a repository/database of the versioned
classes/projects.

Any comments?

Torge