[ANN] SqueakOS

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Oct 19 00:18:05 UTC 1999

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> replied:
>Mini.image (2.2): (584k)
>---------
>ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/SmallSqueaksForPDAs/MiniSqueak2.2/
>
>This is a MVC-only image (no Morphic), it includes a complete
>developement-environment (editor, compiler, source code browsers,
>fileLists...)
>
>The directory "MakeYourOwn" contains all code that Dan used to build
>the mini.image from the normal 2.2 release.

Also, I found the "headless" image that I made up back in 1997.  It is 245K, and vintage 1.21.  It runs fine with a 1.21 or 2.2 VM.  Most important, all the files are there in the Squeak/tiny/tinySqueak.sea.hqx' on UIUC.  In particular, there's a readme file that begins as follows...
This file describes the files and processes involved in producing a first cut at a headless (without UI) Squeak.  It is assumed that you will begin with the file Mini1.21.image, a Squeak that has already had most unnecessary classes and methods removed.  You can produce essentially the same starting point yourself by starting with Squeak-1.21 (or Squeak-1.2 plus FileIn-1.21-di.cs) and executing Smalltalk majorShrink.

The end result of the headless shrink procedure is a Squeak image that is 246K in size, containing 110 classes and 1771 methods.  These include the core classes and methods for Numbers, Collections, Compiler and File System, so that you can still open files, execute simple fileIns and quit.
My guess is that a week's work would get you back down under 300K from Squeak 2.6 following the same prescription.

	- Dan