Morphic Question

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Wed Oct 20 23:49:43 UTC 1999

thanks guys, but i know how to use the halos. what i want to do is *defeat*
(well, constrain) the standard halo and hand behaviours.

i want to create an ApplicationMorph. the ApplicationMorph would look like
a (be a subclass of / use a) SystemWindow. inside the ApplicationMorph
would be other morphs and you could pick them up, move them, delete them,
or create new ones, with the catch that they couldn't escape out of the
ApplicationMorph, *even* if the user picked them up with the black halo.

for example: in a morpic project, choose 'new scriptng area' from
'authoring tools' on the World menu. you get a window entitled 'scripting
area'. this is how i would want my ApplicationMorph to look. (no problem so
far.) now, from the supplies menu of parts pick up the yellow oval morph
(or any of the morphs) and drag it off the parts menu. now, notice that you
can pick the new morph up and drag it out of the 'scripting area' window.
for my ApplicationMorph, i would like to make that not possible.

(i did notice yesterday that in the EnvelopeEditorMorph
{EnvelopeEditorMorph openOn: (AbstractSound soundNamed: 'brass1') copy
title: 'brass1'} that it has constrained morphs. i haven't dug around
enough yet to see how much special coding had to be done to achieve that
effect.)

if i have made any more sense this time, let me know if there is a
straightforward way to do what i am trying to do. if not, i'll just get out
the machete and forge ahead.

thanks,
david

--