Killer demos for squeak (Was Re: Squeak Mentioned On O'Reilly

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Tue Oct 12 21:14:30 UTC 1999

Stephan B. Wessels <stephan.wessels at sdrc.com>

>While reading this thread I am wondering if we should all collaborate on
>creating a killer demo for Squeak?  One of the ways we can get grass roots
>enthusiasm is to show off cool stuff like this at local OO-related user
>group
>meetings.

More to the point of "grass roots," create a killer-demo for educators and
kid-programmers.

My son has been working on a HC-based game for some time now. He would like
to use my GX-based extension to do kool color graphics in his game. Squeak
could go light-years beyond what he has available (with a little tweaking
of the 2D graphics engine, of course), and it would be truely
cross-platform, unlike anything implemented with HC + GX.

A universally available 3D adventure toolset that would allow educators and
kids to create their own interactive 3D worlds would be ultra-good. I think
that such a thing could eventually be devised to run under Squeak and would
make Squeak the premier platform for education.

Lawson English. Squeak, snore, etc.
Check out <http://www.squeak.org>