[REQUEST] Self running image for Unix type OS's

Pennell, David dpennell at quallaby.com
Tue Oct 26 17:06:09 UTC 1999

> Neat!  But don't you need to modify the image *reader*, too?  Ideally,
> one could save a unix-ified image and still have it readable by other
> VM's, too.

I think so.  That was my original point about coordinating with
Squeak Central.  I seem to remember that they intend to change the image
format in the not to distant feature when they incorporate some of
Tim Rowledges changes.  This would be a good time to add this one also.

> (adjust the path to the location of your Squeak VM).  I don't plan to
> use this, but it's kinda neat.  And of course, it still requires that
> the VM is separately installed, which means it's not exactly the some
> thing as a one-file distribution that many people are going after.

Yep, this doesn't give you the all in one distribution.  However, it is
still handy to ship one VM and then just ship bare images that will run
themselves.  You can get this functionality on Windows by associating
..image with the Squeak VM.  I think that the mechanisms are different
on Unix depending on the Window Manager/Desktop you use.  This mechanism
is independent of the WM/Desktop.

-david