Telnet

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 1 23:20:25 UTC 1999

> Howdy,
>
> is it possible to make a telnet connection/session from within Squeak?

I wrote a really basic telnet program about a year ago.  It refuses all
telnet options except for line mode, which it tries to get but can live
without.  I believe all conforming telnet servers must interact with
even such a wimpy client.

However, the VT100 emulation is almost non-existent.  About all that
really works is changing text color.  So you can connect to muds and
turn on ansi mode, but you can't use vi or emacs on a Unix machine.
Guess you can see where my priorities were at the time :)

Of course, if anyone is looking for a project, then writing or
finding a nice VT100 emulator for squeak would be really nice....

In the meantime, though, if you don't need full VT100, or if you are
looking for a project to work on :) , check out:

	http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/TelnetMachine.cs

It's mentioned on the Goodies page on the Swiki, as well.

Lex