Performance of algorithms in Squeak

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Fri Sep 24 16:19:18 UTC 1999

This is interesting. I have been hoping someone would do something in this
area. I looked at the implementation of Knuth's "Algorithm X" in
Integer>>gcd: and it is a thing of beauty.

I have been putting off looking at the math morph stuff also (the URL I have
is http://www.dm.uba.ar/MathMorphs/, and I am not subscribed to the mailing
list, so I don't know how active it is). I have been thinking about doing a
mod 2 polynomial implementation, but I am still faced with a fairly steep
learning curve and a shortage of time. I suppose the biggest thing you need
to do before you implement something new is to understand related extensions
others have done that are maintained outside of the core system.

If you are reluctant to post your enhancements to this list, I would
certainly be interested in taking a look at them. Otherwise, I think the
standard protocol is to prefix the subject line with [ENH] and your changes
will get reviewed for inclusion.

Steve