Strange WinNT Performance Issue

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Sep 24 19:38:29 UTC 1999

Andreas,

     I just tried an intersting benchmark experiment.  On my PII/450 at work,
running WinNT/SP4, Squeak 2.5 (through 1432), 2.5 VM (build 6):

case 1)
    Open applications under NT -   Psion EPOC32 R5 Emulator,
                     Win 3.1 Terminal Program,
                     Premia CodeWrite 5.1b,
                    Internet Explorer 4.01

     0 tinyBenchmarks.        25000000 bytecodes/s, 1208527 sends/s

case 2)
    Open applications under NT - Win 3.1 Terminal Program,
                     Premia CodeWrite 5.1b,
                    Internet Explorer 4.01

     0 tinyBenchmarks.        16666666 bytecodes/s, 1208527 sends/s

I'm not entirely sure what this means, other than that the PII/450 is capable of
performing at the same level as a G3/333 iMac.  The odd thing is that having the
Psion emulator running seems to make Squeak run faster!

I don't know if this suggests any VM issues or not, but I thought I'd share the
raw data point anyway.

                              -Dean Swan
                              dean_swan at mitel.com