[BUG]Stream class>on:from:to: & reset

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Sep 2 20:53:04 UTC 1999

Hi Folks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andres Valloud [sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar] wrote:

> > >by the stream scheduler, or... Tar? No... StreamGlue? GluedStreams?
> > >StreamCat would do (perhaps), because of conCATenate... I'm open to
> > >name suggestions here.
> > How about StreamStream?
>
> Hmmmm... Chris Norton has also provided SequencedStream... so now that's
> two candidates. I haven't yet decided.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While thinking a bit more about Andres' proposal, It occurred to me that
such an object, which, for the sake of argument might be called
SequencedStream (with OrderedCollection-like behavior, as well as Stream
behavior), would own/maintain one or more Stream instances of a given Stream
type.  If one were interested in streaming over several different kinds of
objects, perhaps another object, ComplexSteam (a subclass of
SequencedStream), could be used.

I'm not sure if the distinction is useful, but there it is.  :-)

I suppose it might also be useful if SequencedStream maintained separate
stream pointers for each of its sub-streams.  Thus you could simulate a
system bus, etc.

Well, I guess I've spent my 2 bits...  ;-)

---==> Chris