File-ins/change set formats and a "diff view"

Robert M. Fuhrer rfuhrer at watson.ibm.com
Fri Sep 24 13:45:27 UTC 1999

Wow, I had no idea.  Obviously I have some more exploring to do to find
more of these goodies!  Most of my earlier experience with Smalltalk is
with Apple's Smalltalk-80 implementation circa 1986.  Obviously a fair
amount has been done since then... :-)

At the same time, the present file-in format can't do part of what I
was talking about, namely, presenting a diff view relative to the image
on which the file-in was *created*. [I.e., if I create the file-in, people to
whom I send it can see the diffs relative to my system, not theirs.]

As implemented, the present mechanism can only completely replace
your current version, possibly squashing existing changes that are in
in your current version but not in the file-in.

At 07:09 PM 9/23/99, you wrote:
>Also, such "diffs" view is available in versions (alt-v/cmd-v in the
>method list - in system browser, change sorter, senders/implementors).
>
>On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> On Thu 23 Sep, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:
>> > It has occurred to me that it would be really great if somehow the file-in
>> > format allowed a direct presentation of what the change actually was (for
>> > changes that aren't simply additions/deletions of entire methods/classes).
>> >
>> > E.g., wouldn't it be nice to highlight the changed portions of the code,
or to
>> > present a side-by-side view of old/new (relative to the creator's OR the
>> > receiver's image)?

Robert M. Fuhrer                                       34-231  (914) 945-3830
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center                       rfuhrer at watson.ibm.com
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598                PGP Public Key available on request