Squeak on handheld?

John Tobler squeakie at visto.com
Thu Sep 23 17:39:30 UTC 1999

This is a call for a brief report from you all on which
tiny devices someone has made Squeak-capable (to one degree
or another).

Recent mention of the Casio E105 (WinCE) and the new Visor
(Palm clone with 8MB of RAM for $250, hardware upgradeable)
has inspired me with technolust!  I have examined a number
of messages in the archives but find myself unable to list
precisely which little devices currently support Squeak and
which do not.  Should I conclude that currently Palm OS
is "out" and (ouch!) Win CE is "in.""

The E105 looks really cool, but pricey.  I can skip all the
extras but what I *really* want is to be able to tote
everywhere a working Squeak image, including browsers.
Capability to run Morphic would be a big plus but not an
absolute requirement (although the Morphic code would
*have* to be in the image for study and reference purposes).

Here's my personal wish list.

* I want something with functioning browsers,
  so that I can study the Squeak hierarchy
  in my few spare moments.

* I want a Squeaky device I can grab and use
  -- wherever I am -- for image reference and
  (at least) limited editing in those odd
  mid-night, not-at-home moments when my
  muse usually chooses to strike.

* Laptops, kneetops, and palmtops are too big --
  the thingie must be able to accompany me on
  a walk, a bus, an airplane, into a restaurant,
  and (especially) into the "little programmers'
  room."  No, it doesn't have to survive the
  shower.

* Color would be nice but not required.

* I'm not sure I could justify the bucks for
  an E105.  I'd like to find something
  workable for under $300.

* I would prefer to avoid paying usury to
  the Evil Empire.

* I live in beautiful San Diego, so my erstwhile
  electronic companion must have certain beach
  survival skills.

So, which are the candidates for "Squeaky Handheld Device
of the Year?"  Which might make it into the "almost usable"
category?  Which are "gonna be great someday!"  Which will
likely always be just a "wannabe"?

Advice appreciated,

John Tobler