communication (was "[UPDATES] Test Pilots fasten your seat belts...")

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Thu Sep 23 02:18:37 UTC 1999

Dan--

	Well, here it comes. :)

	I hadn't any indication that you preferred the TFEI framework until recently, when I caught up on my Squeak mail.

	It is incredibly frustrating to write a major subsystem, not be able to release it, finally get permission to release it two years later, tell people about it for a year, watch it linger largely ignored for a year, then find out that some other competing subsystem written from scratch (and which breaks the system!) has been chosen.

	I wish there were reuse. I never got any feedback about the exception-handling system I wrote after incorporating Vassili's ANSI support, and TFEI never bothered to see (as far as I can tell) if someone were working on exception handling when they started. It's not clear to me why you prefer the TFEI work to mine (I'd like to know, regardless of what Central uses).

	The way Squeak developers communicate requires too much polling. I wish you would send email directly to interested parties when you're about to decline their work in major areas, in addition to saying so on the swiki site (which goes down, as does the mailing list *and* the mailing list archive).

	And I'm still waiting to hear word one from Central about fixing networking, despite much discussion by others here (yes, I'll go add something to the Squeak Central Project List on the swiki).

	$%^#!

-C

--
Craig Latta