Method Lookup question

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Thu Sep 9 17:53:54 UTC 1999

Here are several papers that should be helpful:

Jan Vitek, ``Compact Dispatch Tables for Dynamically Typed Programming
Languages,'' Object Applications, D. Tsichritzis (Ed.), Centre
Universitaire d'Informatique, University of Geneva, August 1996, pp.
81-138.
Jan Vitek and R. Nigel Horspool, ``Compacting Dispatch Tables for
Dynamically Typed Object Oriented Languages,'' Proceedings of Compiler
Construction, CC'96, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
Karel Driesen, Urs Hoelzle and Jan Vitek, ``Message Dispatch on
Pipelined Processors,'' Proceedings of the European Conference on Object
Oriented Programming, ECOOP'95, 1995. File:
http://cuiwww.unige.ch/OSG/people/jvitek/Publications/ecoop95.ps.gz
Jan Vitek and R. Nigel Horspool, ``Taming Message Passing: Efficient
method lookup for dynamically typed object-oriented languages,''
Proceedings of the European Conference on Object Oriented Programming,
ECOOP'94, Springer-Verlag, Bologna, Italy, 1994.

These are available from http://cuiwww.unige.ch/osgrefs?osg-ftp

-- Dwight

Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>     I'm writing my master's thesis and I would like some advise from you.
> (This mail may be a little bit long)
>
>     I've been reading some papers on how to make Smalltalk and Self run
> faster. I have an idea on how to make the Smalltalk message lookup faster,
> but before doing anything, I would like to have some feedback from you. I'll
> try to write a short description of my idea.