Squeak on handheld?

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue Sep 28 18:01:06 UTC 1999

Another great platform is the newly announced Psion netBook (read about it at
http://www.enterprise.psion.com/public/products/netbook.htm) which will be able to
run the EPOC32 Squeak port that Tim and I are doing for the Psion Series 5 pocket
computer, except faster, larger, and in color (and with native development tools - no
cross compiler needed)!  I have no idea when I will be able to get my own netBook,
but it looks like a very worthy contender.

Some features:
190MHz StrongARM processor, 32 MB DRAM standard, 64MB optional, CF card slot
(supports IBM MicroDrive) AND Type 2 PCMCIA, 7.7" 640x480 backlit color display with
touchscreen, big keyboard, sound, IrDA, 235x182x37 mm size (approx 9 1/4 x 7 1/4 x 1
1/2 in), 1150g including 10 hour LiIon battery (2 1/2 lb).

A mis-feature:
The only pricing I've seen so far is for a netBook with lots of development-kit type
addons for 1000 GBP (Pounds, not Pence :-) ) which puts it out of my range for a
while.  It's being marketed as an OEM system (e.g., the Psion 5 is repackaged as a
communication device and sold under the Ericsson name) so it may take some time to
become readily available.

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> ...  I'll happily d the work in exchange
> for a machine, the software and <drevilvoice>one million dollars</drevilvoice>.
>
> tim
>
> --
> Porting is such sweet sorrow - Ed Luwish

It's amazing how little one has to do to become a celebrity.  I just started my
15-minute timer.  :-)