Unicode support

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Sep 22 15:58:57 UTC 1999

On Tue 21 Sep, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> A newbie recently asked how to compute the equivalent of:
>
> 	word 4 of line 7
>
> and
>
> 	set word 4 of line 7 to "foobar"
I haven't been tracking this discussion too thoroughly, but the above point
filtered through even though I haven't yet been caffeinated this morning.
My claim is that the above sorts of action have nothing to do with String.
Strings do not have lines, nor even words. Paragraphs (or just maybe
FormattedSentences) have lines and words. A String is just a long list of
characters. Linebreaks, words etc only have meaning once the string is
formatted as part of a larger document-like concept.

tim
PS that random sigliner is at it again....

--
Useful random insult:- Full of wisdumb.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)