Squeak 2.5 problems with changing font size.

David LeBlanc whisper at accessone.com
Wed Sep 1 18:58:17 UTC 1999

As usual when installing a new version of Squeak, I evaluated:
	TextStyle changeDefaultFontSizeBy: 2
so I could see what i'm doing and saw the following problems:

The "Getting Started" and "Welcome To" windows had a larger title which
overflowed the title bar on the top and the bottom.

The "Getting Started" and "Welcome To" windows both gained a blank space
between the title bar and the rest of the window. At first it shows the
background color, but if you move it it shows artifacts of what might have
been under the window.

The Help/Preferences pop-up menu does not resize properly. As it first
displays all of the lines of text in the pop-up are truncated on the right.
If you resize, the lines of text don't and remain truncated and all you see
to the right of them is blank window. Also, the balloons that pop-up over
each line item are using something like a 6 point font which is totally
unreadable.

Opening  and closing the "Play With Me" windows causes their titles to
resize and thus the closed window ?icon? - except they resize themselves
arbitrarily  and truncate their label.

The "set font" and "set style" menu items either don't seem to do anything
or sometimes they make the font as small as humanly possible - thus
unreadable.

Clicking on the sqeak documentation hyperlink in the "Getting Started"
window causes a Scamper browser to come up and do nothing except show some
messages in the Transcript about data being slow and then a data byte
count. The Scamper window remains blank.

The documentation in "Getting Started", "Welcome To" and "readme.txt" are
all mac-centric. So, in fact, is much of the global menu help stuff. I am
using Windows NT and don't have a cmd key on my keyboard.

I think some of this can be fixed by closing and reopening some of the
offending windows, but I don't know how to do that. Others just seem to be
glitches.

Dave LeBlanc