mailing list hiatus

Ralph E. Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 15 13:11:29 UTC 1999

The machine running our mail server has been cracked.  We are going to
move the mail server to another machine so we can update the old server.
But since this is happening quickly, it won't happen seamlessly.  The
mailing lists will probably be down for a day or two.

Recently many of these lists were spammed.  The system we use already
makes sure that posters are on the list, so we are not sure how it
got through.  Our log files show we catch a LOT of spam.  We are
trying to figure out how to improve our system.  Please do NOT go
complaining to university system administrators, because the only
action they will take is to complain to us or to shut our system
down.  They most certainly will not devote any time to fixing the
mail system!  I subscribe to half these lists, so I find out about
the spam as fast as anybody.

-Ralph Johnson