Lampson/Thacker to do Dynabook?

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri Sep 10 18:38:14 UTC 1999

Yeah - for one thing it does byte-reverse all the forms on the fly (which is
really painful on a slow machine with a small L2 cache). But what should
help is setting Squeak to 8bit depth. This should be much faster than any
other combination (though it is best if the display driver is set to 8bit as
well). Also, display operations depend *heavily* on the quality of your
graphics driver - I have seen differences up to a factor of three between MS
standard drivers vs. vendor provided drivers (though I've found that Win98
has a better set of drivers coming along with it).

[BTW, another thing is that the interpreter is clearly optimized towards
processors having lots of registers (and Intel processors don't) the effects
of which you can see if you compare the raw bytecode/send speed]

  Andreas
--
+===== Andreas Raab ========= (andreasr at wdi.disney.com) ==+
| Walt Disney Imagineering        Phone: +1 818 544 5016  I
I Glendale, CA                    Fax:   +1 818 544 4544  I
+======< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >========+