[IDEA] Using Squeak for mailing lists...

Ali Chamas dragonmystics at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 19 04:40:00 UTC 2000

I was wondering,

What if there was a Squeak app running as a servlet
somewhere, which acted as a central mailing list
repository. An interface for client versions of Squeak
could log in, check mail, do contextual searches, see
how many hits each mail item has received, search by
topics, and even extend the format/capabilities of the
email item (could be a squeak object, not just plain
email text). You could also make sure that by logging
into the mailing group, you would be able to view all
past items, while staying in the same app session. You
could also create disscussion groups, and categories
of mail items. It also means that we'd all be using
Squeak to talk about Squeak.
So basically, instead of using an email-based program
to read mail from the Squeak server, we just make a
Squeak image manage the mailing list, run it on the
server, and use our local copies to log in and learn.

Does this idea appeal to anyone?

Ali.