Should I update to Squeak 2.8 alpha???

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Sun Apr 30 23:58:57 UTC 2000

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 jchludzinski at grci.com wrote:

> I'm currently having a lot of trouble with 2.7 failing (e.g. I try to accept
> a new method only to have the debug window pop up; when I try to dismiss it,
> it returns - again & again & again ...; semaphore logic that works fine on
> VW locks up on 2.7, etc. etc. etc.).

It kind of sounds like your saved image might be messed up.  (Messing with
the Semaphore class could easily do this, I'm guessing. :-) )  Generally,
you should keep a clean (unmodified) 2.7 image around, and file in your
changes separately.  (Apologies if you're already doing this.)

> I don't know if updating to 2.8alpha would help but it can't hurt. If so, how
> do I do this using EToySystem?

I notice that there were a couple of methods changed in Semaphore about a
week ago in 2.8alpha, so it might be worth a try.

There are directions on how to update to 2.8alpha on the Squeak FAQ on the
Squeak Swiki. (the Squeak FAQ is also linked from the www.squeak.org
page.)

(Also note the update-from-server bug which I just posted about.  If
you're on Windows or a Mac, updating from 2.7 to 2.8alpha will take a very
long time.  You might be better off fetching the 2.8alpha image & changes
files from www.squeak.org directly.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com