Squeak Porting advice ??

Pennell, David dpennell at quallaby.com
Fri Apr 14 21:43:31 UTC 2000

> Q1: How to I get Squeak to "give" me a generic interp.c ?
>     (If there are instructions somewhere I'm missing them %-))

>From a running image, execute:
InterpreterSupportCode writeSupportFiles

> And then the thought arises.... maybe I should start with a
> different Squeak distribution to get the other 3 files mentioned
> above ?
>
> Q2: But which one is the best to start with (or does it even matter?)?
>      (I was looking for the Mac sources to Squeak but couldn't figure
>      out which file was the one I wanted.... ?)

If you are going to use X-Windows, then the Unix port is certainly the best
to start with.

I have been away from VMS for a long time.  Some questions:

- Did they add support for Unix style file names or is that still an
optional
product?  If you want to support VMS style file names
(device:[dir.sub.sub]file.extension;version), then you need to (at least)
add
VMSFileDirectory as a subclass of FileDirectory.

- Do they support a BSD style network API?

I think you can punt on the the sound, serial/midi, joystick/tablet support
unless
you really need them.  I'm guessing that getting pluggable primitives to
work
might be "interesting" unless VMS actually implements dl*()...

-David