Compaq iPAQ H3650

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Apr 21 18:10:13 UTC 2000

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 04/21/2000 02:10 PM

>On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:
>
>> At 13:45 -0700 4/20/00, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> >Certainly not old news to me! Nice hardware, shame about the OS. How
>> >many weeks do you think until someone works out how to put linux on it?
>> >And only £499....hmm
>
>My sentiments exactly.  I don't think it'll take too long, there is an ARM
>port of Linux, and the work would be simply adapting it to this model.
>
>> or how many weeks before someone figures out how to get Squeak on it?
>
>Well... Under Windows CE, I don't think it'd be too hard.  There already
>is a Windows CE port of Squeak, and since Squeak seems to be quite
>portable, hopefully it'll only be a recompile with minimal tweaking to get
>it up.
>
>Aaron

Given that the whole LinuxCE project has been rather sporadic, and doesn't seem
to have yet reached a stable release, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one....

However, If Andreas can whip up ARM binaries of his WinCE VM port, I would be
*VERY* interested.  I've been using Andreas's WinCE port of Squeak on a Casio
E-105 since July 1999, and I've been quite happy with it, but I am most
interested in getting one of the new Compaq PocketPCs since it is smaller,
possibly faster, and offers a real PC card slot and USB, both of wich may open
up the possibilities a bit for use of peripherals that aren't currently
supported by the likes of the Casio E-105 (i.e. CD-ROMs, cameras, etc.).

                                   -Dean Swan

                                   dean_swan at mitel.com