Squeak on Linux framebuffer?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Apr 9 04:29:18 UTC 2000

Has any work been done to get Squeak running on the Linux framebuffer,
that is, without X? I know some work's been done to get Squeak running on
bare metal and getting an embedded version of Squeak going, but running it
atop stripped down Linux would have it's advantages.

Why would anyone want to do this, over a bare metal port or on top of DOS
(as a lightweight host for Squeak)?

* Linux runs on multiple platforms, so maintaing ports for different
  platforms would be minimal -- just recompile for the Linux for that
  platform.
* Linux has support for many devices (namely, NICs and sound equipment),
  so drivers wouldn't have to be written for Squeak.
* Linux would be highly customizable and freely distributable

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm new to the Squeak
list.

Aaron