Newbie Questions?

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Tue Apr 18 00:00:45 UTC 2000

Hi Conrad.

I'm fine.  Thanks for asking.  :-)

You asked:

1) How can you enlarge your Squeak?

Well, you can make Squeak at least as big as your monitor.  In your image,
click anywhere (in MVC try a right mouse click, and/or in Morphic, try left
mouse click) to bring up a menu.  Choose "appearance...".  Then choose "full
screen on".  This will cause Squeak to expand and use your whole screen.

2) Is there an easier or better way to add a method to an instance?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.  Usually I add new methods
to a class.  Then all instances of the class have the new method.  [If
you're talking about that Morphic trick where you choose to "make own
subclass" (via the debug halo button), then you're still creating a class
for the selected morph, that you can add new methods to].  To add a new
method to a class, I typically use a Browser.

3) Is there a way to turn off prompting for a label?

Yes, or I should say, at least under 2.7 Morphic, yes...  From a Morphic
project, bring up the World menu (right mouse click), choose "help..."
choose "preferences..." and then click on the "false" next to "allow label
dragging".  This is with Squeak 2.7.  In Squeak 2.8a, the preferences stuff
has changed considerably.  I'm sorry to say that I am not familiar with the
changes and could not easily determine what options to choose.

BTW:  (Morphic Lurkers)  Is there a way to make my 2.8a preferences revert
back to the old 2.7 look and feel?  And can I quickly return to my familiar
2.2 - 2.7 halo configuration?  It seems that 2.8a halos are severely
restricted.  If you try to look at the halo on a Browser, for example, you
can only get the halos for its 5 or so submorphs.  You can't get the halo
for the browser!  Very weird.

Cheers,

---==> Chris