[updates] 35 more for 2.8alpha

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sun Apr 30 16:11:14 UTC 2000

>At 01:39 PM 4/29/00 +0200, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>>At 15:56 27.04.00 -0500, R. A. Harmon wrote:
>>
>>>I would suspect not as MVC is slated to be removed from Squeak Central
>>>release.  I'm not sure when.
>>
>>I'm not sure whether this statement is correct.  Actually, I think, it's
>>wrong.  AFAIK, the default desktop is probably changed from MVC to morphic
>>but there're no plans to remove MVC.
>
>The last time this question came up a couple of months ago I went back and
>found Dan Ingalls's original post on the future of Squeak and confirmed that
>he said MVC was being removed.  I think I posted an excerpt of it.
>
>Unless I missed something since the last discussion, I guess that is still
>the plan.
>

>>I'm also pretty sure that this wouldn't be easy as it's deeply burried in
>>all parts of Squeak - including Morphic :-)
>
>If I remember correctly, during the last discussion Dan explained (something
>like) that the MVC event mechanism would remain but they still planned to
>remove the MVC GUI framework.  Sorry, I can't give a better explanation.
>
>He said anyone could then add the MVC GUI framework to the Squeak Central
>release, if they wanted it.

I see it as Stefan describes.  I see no indication of an MVC extraction.

While this rumor of an MVC extraction seems to continue unabated,
cycling roughly monthly in posts by Mr. Harmon, I don't see any
evidence of it.  I certainly didn't see any of it in my e-mail
archives I reviewed.

Dan certainly did state that Morphic was going to be the primary GUI
for SqC, and would be the default in the SqC release, probably
beginning with 2.8.  Beyond that, Mr. Harmon's conclusion seems to be
wild extrapolation of other remarks.

The comments found in recent changesets continue to indicate concern
about changes being properly supported in or backpatched to MVC, and
changesets with updates and upgrades continue to be posted.  A fair
amount of third-party Smalltalk code relies on MVC (or is more easily
ported to MVC), and thus MVC is a useful tool for compatibility.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com