Interval Research (was Re: Bug auctions)

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Mon Apr 24 19:05:24 UTC 2000

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 04/24/2000 03:05 PM

     http://www.interval.com  also produces the official press release.

>And don't forget the little matter of the laser printer. That made it out
>of PARC and has made Xerox (and others) hundreds of timeswhat PARC costs.

     Yes, it did, but only because certain managers at Xerox ignored at least 3
separate executive orders to kill it, and it had a big push from very high
levels to even get it into the product development pipeline.

     Even if nothing else ever came out of PARC, I think the laser printer more
than justifies PARC's existence.  The book I read also made it pretty clear that
unless the invention had an associated "per page" fee, the Xerox salesforce had
no interest, since their whole compensation package was based on this.

     Interestingly, I grew up in a suburb of Rochester, NY, where many of my
friends' parents worked at Xerox's Webster lab, and many of my high school and
college friends work there now, including one of my college roommates.  Near as
I can tell, the only differnce between Xerox now and Xerox of 1968 is that now
laser printers *and* copiers are "real products", as opposed to just copiers.
Anything else is still just useless fodder.

     Interval's big weakness seemed to be in terms of sustainability.  I think
Paul Allen made it pretty clear from the outset that he was going to dump $100
million into it and that was all.

                                         -Dean Swan

                                         dean_swan at mitel.com

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> on 04/24/2000 02:14:13 PM