How to submit bugs, fixes and enhancements

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Apr 24 21:41:40 UTC 2000

> > + ALWAYS mark bug fixes by adding [FIX] to the subject line and
> > enhancements for the base images by adding [ENH].  If you just noticed a
> > bug but cannot provide a fix, please use [BUG].
>
>Is it possible to use [BUG?] or [FIX?] if someone isn't really sure?

I think my email filters only support confindence :-)  But to make this
clear, these are all suggestions which help me to process changes faster -
nothing that is cast in stone.

>What about updates of [ENH] changesets?

No problem, just write down the requirement in the email and the change
set's preamble.

>[snip] Is this a good approach?

Yes.

> > If in doubt, use .gz compression to assure binary mode.  Also use .gz
> > compression if the change set is larger than a few KB.
>
>Is this because of harddisc space? Transferring not gzipped files
>shouldn't be much slower, because modems/protocols should have their own
>compression algorithms.

No, it is to convince all that too-helpful email tools that .cs files are
binaries.  Otherwise, they convert tabs, line endings and so one,
reformatting the files and cause additional work.

>Isn't it work for you to unpack the gzipped files?

Squeak is capable to do this :-)  This is why I suggested .gz instead of .zip

> > (let's say more than 10 KB),
>
>Oops! ;-)

Just a suggestion, I don't speak for the list.  Perhaps larger files are
accepted, too...

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust // ...come on, kiss the frog!