UML Visual Modeling in Squeak?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Thu Apr 27 19:42:45 UTC 2000

Hi!

I will not start a project to create an UML modelling tool in Squeak but'd
probably join it.  I created such an UML class diagram documentation tool
in VisualWorks some times ago (see www.object-insight.com) and will
probably work on something similar in a few months, although then in Java
and as a commercial product.

Still, I'm very interested in this topic and especially when we're talking
not only about just a "drawing tool" but something that can be used to
support the whole software development process - let's say XP.

Most existing tools (including Together/J) lack IMHO an easy to use UI and
try to impress with unneeded features instead.  None of these tools support
real collaboration.  They all focus on code and therefore downgrade UML to
a graphical programming logic but they don't help the user to abstract
concept.  IMHO the focus should be on communication but on specification.

Squeak might be a nice testbed for these and other ideas.

 > If anyone has any information about this or
>similar projects, please let me know because I would
>be very interested in assisting with this effort as a
>new person to Squeak Smalltalk.

AFAIK, nobody is working on this or on similar projects yet.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...come on, kiss the frog!