[BUG] .changes file position overflowing at 16M size

Mark van Gulik ghoul6 at home.com
Sun Apr 16 17:35:06 UTC 2000

[...story about hitting 16MB limit for changes file without warning...]
> Yeah, we were bitten by that too :-(
> Workarounds:
> - when testing stuff producing large amounts of changes consider rolling
> back to the original changes file every time before you start the image.
> Don't forget to file out the changes you want to keep before you do
> that.
> - run a condense changes in between (at least in the test image)
> - build a test image with condensed sources, so you start with an empty
> changes file. That gives you plenty of room for producing changes

I generate *a lot* of Smalltalk code in my implementation of Avail in
VisualWorks + C++.  To keep the change file size down (on general
principles, as I dont think it fails at 16MB in VW any more), I check if a
method I'm about to add has the same source as the current version of the
method, and if so I don't bother compiling the new version.  This also makes
it easy to see what changed by looking at what got written to the change log
since the last save (I have my own tools to do this).