Porting Java To Smalltalk?

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Sun Apr 30 17:41:28 UTC 2000

In general you won't find naming collisions between Java code and Squeak's
library.  If you do run into that problem, we can help you learn namespaces
in Squeak, or you can simply choose noncolliding names for the time being.

Here's some interesting stuff you should know when porting the code:

1. Extends is just like the subclass message in Squeak.  When you create a
new class, you extend another just like in Java.

2. Interfaces are "unnecessary" in Squeak.  There are discussions for how to
enforce them, but for the time being, just implement the same methods and
ignore the interface specs.  Everything will work just fine.

3. If you extend any base classes in Java (likely) you will have to find out
what sort of things you have to add or override to do it correctly in
Squeak.  This involves reading the image as well as reading some Java source
code in src.jar.

4. Smalltalk has latent types, so drop virtually every typing remark in
Java.  There are no casts and no primitive types in Smalltalk.
Fixed-precision integers expand to bignums when they need to.  Get familiar
with the way the code works in Squeak.

5. Many things that are done in Java are not Smalltalky.  So, you'll want to
see how things are done in Smalltalk before you start.  Read the image a
lot, it's really important that you do so.

-John