Chinese Checkers [was: Re: Go]

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Apr 13 23:41:35 UTC 2000

>Thanks Dan!
>
>I installed your game into a Squeak 8a image (w/ all updates) and it ran
>like a champ.
>
>[Question] Sometimes when I make a move, the game animates my move and puts
>the checker somewhere else.  I'm not really familiar with this game (I
>recall playing it once or twice when I was 10 or so), so my strategy is
>quite rusty.  Did the game attempt to help me make the best possible move?
>If so, shouldn't this be an option?

It's not trying to help you.  It should "pull back" any invalid moves, and animate the valid ones;  that's all.  Please let me know of any repeatable weirdness.

Regarding the best possible moves, CC is so simple that the first level of play is mostly about what you can see, and I don't want the computer to help you do that!  In advanced play it's more about lookahead, and minimax-type strategy.  This progam never tries to be mean to its opponent (though it frequently happens) -- I thought others would enjoy putting that in.

>Thanks again!  What a nice surprise at the end of a long day...

Have fun.

	- D