Headless Unix startup (was: VM bugs and make problems)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 1 20:20:42 UTC 2000

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 10:49:45AM -0500, dpennell at quallaby.com wrote:
> Has anybody looked at how hard it would be to update the Unix VM
> to run headless via a command line switch like the Windows VM does?
>
> -david

The headless VM has all the X stuff ifdeffed out. That keeps the
irrelevant crud out of the headless VM. Among other things, I expect
that this permits cleaner polling for external events, which could
be important for headless applications.

If you have OSProcess loaded, you can do 'UnixProcess decapitate'
to close the UI on a running Squeak, or you can do
'UnixProcess forkHeadlessSqueakAndDo: [something]' to start a new
headless image. In either case, you're still running the normal VM
(including all the X code), but it makes for an easy way to start a
headless image without using a separately compiled VM.

I suppose it would be easy to add a command line flag to force
headless operation from the Unix command line using the normal VM.
What's the command line flag for this in the Windows and Mac VMs?
I'll can hack it into the next OSProcess release if there's interest.

Dave