World sensitivity (was Re: [updates] 35 more for 2.8alpha)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Apr 29 11:17:47 UTC 2000

At 21:02 26.04.00 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Why isn't there a "do the right open" call?  Why should everything
>that opens a top-level widget have to know *how* to open it?

It's the "that historically caused" reason.  There was (and is) no real
documentation so everybody hacked in some way, perhaps looking how somebody
else it already did.  Actually, there's I think an idiom (language pattern)
to use when you want to start a morphic application

ApplicationMorph new openInWorld

(there're a some variants - some of them IMHO obsolete or at least badly named)

>Or maybe I'm missing something?

The problem with free cell wasn't how to open morphs but not to use and
interpret globals  values.  There're two kinds of morphic worlds
available.  Full screen worlds and worlds as MVC windows.  (Actually,
there're three, worlds in morphic worlds are also possible but life is
difficult enough already so let's ignore that)  The global World could be
used to determine wether you're running as full screen or not.  IMHO it
shouldn't be used and instead of that, "self world isFullScreen" should be
preferred.  In a full screen world, there's only one and it's easy to refer
to that world.  With windowed worlds, you could have more than one and
applications must be careful to open their child windows in their own
worlds.  Some applications don't honnor that I'm afraid.

bye