[GOODIE] Personal Information Manager

Joshua Gargus gargus at cs.ualberta.ca
Thu Apr 13 17:03:47 UTC 2000

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:06:25PM +0200, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> Dear Joshua,
>
> I just wanted to give feedback of a first look at your organizer from a
> person currently not very experienced in using Morphs!
>
> I think your PIM seems to go into the direction of graphically idea
> development tools (don't know the correct word).
> I would like to have some personal planning tool in the direction of
> MS-Outlook, but not so big, and with
> - priorities for different tasks,
> - overviews of tasks for
> 	- day,
> 	- month,
> 	- year,
> 	- without time (very important!)
> . Without time, because I want to plan fuzzy with tasks, for which I
> don't want to say exactly, when to do them.

Yes, I'll eventually add this functionality.  Right now, I'm more interested
in organizing information than scheduling tasks.  For example, how do I locate
that code fragment that someone sent to the list 3 months ago?  Hopefully,
I'll be able to come up with a way that mirrors my cognitive processes better
than a regexp search does.

> > I'm not sure what you mean by 'not easily visible'.
>
> An overview about all concepts/ideas/descriptions... at once.
> But probably it is also a question of how and for what to use the PIM.

Oh, that's hard.  I do agree that this is one of the major problems with
my current GUI.  However, I just wanted to get a GUI going quickly, because
I was getting tired of adding links and creating concepts by typing in the
workspace.

I think that eventually a zoomable or hyperbolic-tree-like
approach might be necessary to get a better overview.  Right now it's up to
the person to have an overall idea of the concept graph they are creating; it
might not be easy for someone else to come in and use the structures I've set
up, for instance.

Thanks for the feedback,
Joshua