Is Squeak open source???

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Tue Apr 11 20:55:06 UTC 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, John Chludzinski wrote:

> Is Squeak truly open source - a la Linux?  Is ALL of the source code
> freely available?  Does the Squeak project adhere to "The Open Source
> Definition" (http://opensource.org/osd.html)?

Yes, from my reading, at least, the Squeak license does appear to adhere
to all the points of the "Open Source Definition" that you mention.
(Although I am not a lawyer.)

(Note that this does *not* mean that the Squeak license is a GPL
license... but the Open Source Definition doesn't have anything to do with
GPL, either.)

There are a couple of quirks in the Squeak license regarding some existing
fonts in the image, and export of software outside the U.S., but I believe
the intent is that these problems will be cleaned up at some point.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com
  dway at mat.net, @eai.com