(Very) Newbie Questions

Mark marquedej at onebox.com
Wed Apr 5 06:20:51 UTC 2000

Hi!

A friend of mine pointed out Squeak to me and so I've downloaded it and
have played with it for a bit.

It looks very cool and, thanks to some of the tutorials available, I've
been able to construct some classes and play with them.

I seem to have run into a mental block while playing with Squeak. Are
there any good, basic introductions to Squeak/SmallTalk that would explain
some of the fundamentals (variables, keywords, etc) that would help me
on my way?

Also, the philosophy seems to be much different from more "traditional"
languages. For example, when I close all the "PlayWithMe" windows, how
do I get them back (without going back to the original image)? How do
I determine which classes create a complete program that can be "launched"?
(Also, is the correct way to "launch" things via the Workspace?)

I guess, in short, are them some guidelines that will help me learn this
stuff quicker or is it all by trial and error?

Thanks for taking the time to read the ramblings of a Squeak newbie...

	-- Mark

--
Mark
marquedej at onebox.com - email