[ENH] Celeste receives attachments

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 28 09:56:19 UTC 2000

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 02:19:08 +0300 Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> >Guys, anybody feel like doing the encoding side of QuotedPrintable? (base64 is basically enough, but QuotedPrintable is, well, printable...)
>
> I have included below what I use. You will need to change the class to one you have.

Excellent news, Daniel, and Bob--my was that fast.  String might be a
good choice for the class to put the encoder in --
String>>toQuotedPrintable.  It's a general purpose utility, and might
well be usable in contexts other than reading mail.

As for the UI, I've been thinking that instead of a menu, a good way to
handle attachments would be to make a link within the text which is
hyperlinked to the attachment.  Clicking on the link would give you a
small menu with things like "open in window" or "save to file".
Really, it should be a very similar menu to the one that FileList has.

To make such a link, one first makes a new subclass of TextAttribute
with the relevant instance variables (probably data, content-type, and
default file name).  Adding the attribute to your text is a small
challenge, but AttributedTextStream should be useful here.

If no one goes after this, I'll try and do it, but it will be at least a
week.

Again, this is great news.  Attachments are the most important facility
that Celeste has been missing.

-Lex