[BUG] equivalence between strings and symbols

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Mon Apr 10 22:01:17 UTC 2000

At 10:27 AM 4/10/00 -0700, John W. Sarkela wrote:
[snip]
>Given the standard I believe that either #= in SequenceableCollection
>should check for class equality rather than species equality
[snip]

I spent a half day playing around with changing SequenceableCollection >> #=
to use class, and changing String >> #= to use class or removing it
completely (I thought this should also work, but maybe slower).

Squeak did not like these changes.  The version menu item loses its
memory--only the current version is listed, and when a method was changed
and accepted Squeak no longer recognized selectors already defined and asked
for confirmation on all the selectors and classes used in the method.

I tried tracking the problem with versions into the Scanner methods but I'm
a little out of my depth and its tricky given the way the system is effected
by the change.  The variable "token" is not always a string but there are a
number of places where = symbol occurs; and assignments, especially of
string values, are often but not always converted to symbols.

I'll play around with it some more and see if I can discover where it is
breaking.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy