[IDEA] Using Squeak for mailing lists...

Ali Chamas dragonmystics at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 19 05:43:55 UTC 2000

--- Joshua Gargus <gargus at cs.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> I think that it's a wonderful idea.  The main gotcha
> is
> that it needs to be user-friendly enough for a
> newbie to
> use the first time they fire up Squeak, especially
> since
> the mailing list as it now stands is such a resource
> for
> novice Squeakers.

What if it were just another minimised window sitting
on the MVC desktop when a 'fresh' Squeak was opened?
If we clearly defined the model of the "mail center",
plus the features which the user would use, i'm sure
we can come up with a wonderful view solution. And if
we clearly seperated the "mail center" model from it's
view (as in the classic MVC), we might be able to
re-vamp/re-visit/modify the view down the road.

Here is a list of some of the mailing list domains
which we could incorporate into the "Squeak mail
center":

* Announcements
* Updates
* Highlights
* Newbies
* FAQs (by category)
* How-to... (by category)
* Members listing (by programming niche category - eg,
3D experts, sound experts, network experts, AI experts
etc)

If all mail items were stored in a central collection,
then we could sort of alias particular items into
these groups. For example, someone might post an
update, which is a highlight, which falls into a FAQ
category. This way, you might find the same item
referenced by several mail issue domains within this
"Squeak mail center".

I like it.